Earthing up the new potatoes was the order of the day. As the danger of frost seems past (famous last words) I took the fleece off.
They’ve come on a treat and now is the time to give them the final boost. First I ran the mantis with the digging tines between the rows, which threw some earth to the sides and then gave a good dose of fish, blood and bone. Using a draw hoe, I then pulled soil up around the haulm
The mantis is a real time saver, doing this all by hand would have taken much longer as the clay soil compacts easily.
Next a spot of weeding.
The mantis came in handy again, running up and down the wide space between the double rows of broad beans. I have hoed but the rain has helped the weeds come back. Between the single rows it was weeding by hand.
Then the salad bed on 29 got weeded and the radish that have grown too large were recycled in the compost bin.
The last job is a walkaround. The comfrey is springing back after its haircut and the brassicas are looking OK in their cage. The spinach is a little disappointing – seems only one germination from the first sowing.
Carrots and parsnips are popping up but the weeds are out-stripping them. Next weeding job and thinning out too. The turnips are sprouting too.
On plot 29, the onions and garlic look great. I should have onions in a week or two from the autumn planting although the garlic may not be ready until the longest day.
Back at the ranch the peas in modules are ready to go and the pitiful few dwarf french beans as well. Everything else is looking fine.