The day started with some really nice sunshine, so down to the plot just after midday. The first job and as it turned out the only job, was to empty the leafmould cage on plot 5.
I’m spreading it on plot 5 about three inches thick and I’ll dig it in later. Making leafmould on this scale is a lot of work and it never goes as far as you want but it does have a wonderful effect on the soil.
Unfortunately weeds have crept in from the woods behind into the leafmould so a goodly amount of time is taken removing bramble and bindweed roots I really don’t want them spreading around the plot.
The plan was to plant the garlic when I’d emptied the cage but as I got to the bottom the sky went black so retreated home before I got soaked.
Rain predicted for tomorrow but hopefully a few dry days later in the week. We could do with a whole week without rain to dry out the soil enough to dig. Even the paths around the site are a quagmire and the paths on the plot made with wood chippings are now just mud.
Allotment association meeting tonight.
Leave a Comment Here on Emptying Leafmould Bins