A fresh and fragrant chutney with a bite! Goes well with fish, chicken and meat dishes and is absolutely delicious with Leg of Lamb.
Ingredients for Apple and Mint Chutney:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 ½ pints (855 ml) spiced vinegar
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 lb (450 g) demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
Method for Apple and Mint Chutney:
- Put the apples in a pan with the vinegar and bring slowly to boiling point.
- Place the spices and chillies on a square of muslin and tie firmly. Add to the pan with the sugar and salt and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer until thickened and then remove the muslin bag. Stir in the mint.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
Makes about 3 lb (1.4 kg) of Apple and Mint Chutney.
Chutneys - How to Make Chutney
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...
This is one of the best chutney you can have, goes great with cod meat, apple and mint its a winner