A fresh and fragrant chutney with a bite! Goes well with fish, chicken and meat dishes and is absolutely delicious with Leg of Lamb.
Ingredients for Apple and Mint Chutney:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 ½ pints (855 ml) spiced vinegar
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 lb (450 g) demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
Method for Apple and Mint Chutney:
- Put the apples in a pan with the vinegar and bring slowly to boiling point.
- Place the spices and chillies on a square of muslin and tie firmly. Add to the pan with the sugar and salt and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer until thickened and then remove the muslin bag. Stir in the mint.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
Makes about 3 lb (1.4 kg) of Apple and Mint Chutney.
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...