Eat with hard cheese or cold meats – it goes especially well with chicken.
Ingredients for Lemon Relish:
- 2 large lemons
- 1 large red or green pepper
- 6 large spring onions
- 2 large celery sticks
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 4 parsley sprigs
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 fl oz (110 ml) Chilli vinegar
Method of Lemon Relish:
- Pare the rind from the lemons. Cut off and discard the white pith.
- Remove the core and seeds from the pepper.
- Coarsely mince the lemon rind and flesh, onions (including the green tops), pepper, celery, chilli and parsley.
- Put into a pan with the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
Makes about 1 lb (450 g) of Lemon Relish.
More Information on Making Relishes
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...