All Plum Jams are really easy to make as plums have a lot of pectin so setting is seldom a problem.
Ingredients for Spiced Plum Jam with Walnuts:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) plums, halved and stoned
- 1 pint (570 ml) water
- 2 inch (5 cm) piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 lb (1.8 kg) sugar
- 3 oz (84 g) walnuts, finely chopped
Method for Plum Jam:
- Put the plums in a pan with the water and cinnamon. Simmer until the the fruit is very soft.
- Test for pectin. (This should not be a problem).
- Remove the cinnamon stick and add the sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove any scum, cool slightly and then stir in the walnuts.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover.
- Label when cool.
Makes around 6 lbs (2.7 kg) of Spiced Plum Jam with Walnuts.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...