A crunchy pickle that is excellent with fish dishes and cold meats.
Ingredients for Celery and Sweet Pepper Pickle:
- 1 lb (450 g) celery
- 4 medium onions – peeled and sliced
- 2 medium green peppers – cored and seeded
- 2 medium red peppers – cored and seeded
- 8 oz (225 g) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pint (570 ml) distilled white malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour – blended with 3 tablespoons water
Method for Celery and Sweet Pepper Pickle:
- Slice the celery, onions and green peppers thinly, dice the red peppers.
- Put the vegetables into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes then drain.
- Meanwhile, put the sugar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric and vinegar in a pan. Bring to the boil, add the vegetables and return to the boil and boil for 5 minutes stirring
- Add the blended cornflour and boil for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
Makes about 3 lbs (1.4 kg) of Celery and Sweet Pepper Pickle.
For More Information on Pickles and Relishes:
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
I’ve used this recipe for years and everyone who has tried it loves it. Would recommend it to anyone who loves making pickles and relishes❤❤❤