Ingredients for Quick Spiced Vinegar:
- 2 in (50mm) stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 pints (1.1 litres) vinegar
Method for Quick Spiced Vinegar:
- Place the vinegar and the spices (tied in a muslin bag) in a heatproof basin and stand the basin over a saucepan of water.
- Cover the basin with a plate or the flavour will be lost.
- Bring the water in the pan to the boil and then remove it from the heat.
- Set aside for 2 – 3 hours to allow the spices to steep in the warm vinegar.
- Strain the vinegar and cool.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars
Home made flavoured oils and vinegars are very easy to make and are, generally, flavoured with herbs but stronger flavoured ingredients such as chillies and garlic can also be used. In the case of vinegars, fruit is also often used. Garlic flavoured oil...
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...
Articles, information and tips on using oils and vinegars. People have used oils and vinegars for flavouring and storing foods for thousands of years. You have to wonder who first had the idea of using spoilt wine as a condiment or putting those...