A delicious summer dish that can be served hot or cold.
Ingredients for Aubergine Casserole:
- 1 large aubergine (about 1½ lbs/675 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs, preferably brown
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz (112 g) grated hard cheese
- Black pepper
Method for Aubergine Casserole:
- Peel and slice the aubergine, put into a pan with the salt and about 1 inch (25 mm) of boiling water
- Cover and cook gently for around 7 minutes, then drain.
- Mash the aubergine well and mix in the beaten eggs, melted butter, breadcrumbs, onion, oregano and pepper.
- Grease a shallow 3 pint (1.7 litre) oven-proof dish and put half the sliced tomato on the bottom, then put the aubergine mixture on top and cover with the rest of the tomato.
- Lay the cheese on top, sprinkle with paprika and bake at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C) for about 40 minutes.
If serving hot, an ideal accompaniment to grilled or roast lamb.
Leave a Comment Here on Aubergine Casserole Recipe