Recipe for Stew in a Pumpkin Shell sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Stew in a Pumpkin Shell:
- 1 large pumpkin
- Melted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 pounds chuck (blade) steak, cubed
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled and chopped (tinned toms are ok)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 ½ pints beef stock
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds pumpkin meat, saved from your pumpkin
- Bouquet garni
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
Method for Stew in a Pumpkin Shell:
- To prepare the pumpkin, cut the top to form a lid, angle cutting so the lid will sit on and not fall in. Leave the stem for a handle.
- Remove the “guts”, the fibres and seeds and discard. Scoop away most of the solid flesh, leaving a sturdy wall of pumpkin, being careful not to cut through it.
- Measure out 2 pounds of the pumpkin flesh for the stew.
- Brush the inside of the cleaned pumpkin with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Replace the lid and set the pumpkin aside on a baking sheet.
- Cook the onion and garlic in a little oil until soft but not browned. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Brown the beef in the oil and add it to the onion mixture in the saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, half the stock, the bouquet garni, a little salt and plenty of pepper to the meat and onions.
- Cover and simmer until the meat is almost cooked. This should take about 1 hour.
- At this time, put the pumpkin shell in the oven at 375 degrees. Leave it for 30 minutes, or longer if the walls are thick. (But be careful not to collapse the walls. You can use a large casserole as a support for the walls).
- Add the sweet potato, potato and pumpkin to the saucepan and cover with more stock. Return to a boil and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes or until the meat is tender, the potatoes are cooked, and the liquid is thickened with the dissolved pumpkin. Note: Some people add a dozen peach halves 10 mins before end of cooking.
- Taste, correcting the seasoning and remove the bouquet garni and discard. Ladle the stew into the pumpkin and put back into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes and serve. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Pumpkins and Squashes are very under used but are amazing because they lend themselves to both savoury and sweet dishes and also have along shelf live (up to 6 months).
I found you listed in google as the following;
Recipe for Stew in a Pumpkin Shell | Allotment Growing Recipes
An ideal recipe for Guy forks or Halloween or any autumn gathering.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/43/recipe-for-stew-in-a-pumpkin-shell/ – 42k –
Who is Guy forks, is he related to Nikki knife or simon spoon?
yours curiously Carnby
I’ve changed it to read Bonfire Night!
Really tasty ideas, will add to favourites