Ingredients for Green Pea Soup:
- 1 lb (450 g) shelled fresh peas
- A few young pods
- Sprig of mint
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) vegetable stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter or margarine
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
Method for Green Pea Soup:
- Put the shelled washed peas with the washed pods, mint, stock or water, salt and pepper into a pan and cook gently until tender.
- Either rub through a sieve or put through a blender to leave a smooth purée.
- Melt the fat in a pan and add the flour, blend well, and let it cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Add the pea purée gradually, stirring all the time.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook gently for at least 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk, re-heat without boiling and serve.
This Green Pea Soup Recipe serves 4. Best with fresh English peas when they are in season as the pods make a huge difference but can be made with frozen peas