Ingredients for Cream of Asparagus Soup:
- 1 bundle asparagus
- ½ turnip
- 2 stalks white celery
- 1 onion
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) water or white vegetable stock
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig mint
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) flour
- ½ pint (300 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons cream
Method for Cream of Asparagus Soup:
- Scrape the asparagus, cut off the tips and drop into cold water.
- Cut the white ends of the asparagus into 1″ (2.5 cm) lengths.
- Peel and slice the onion and turnip, wash and cut up the celery.
- Put the asparagus ends, onion, turnip and celery into a pan with the water or stock, add the salt and herbs and peppercorns tied in a piece of muslin.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for one hour.
- Remove the muslin with the herbs and either rub through a sieve or put through a blender to make a smooth purée.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Blend it well and cook for a minute or two without colouring.
- Very gradually add the asparagus purée, stirring constantly.
- Bring to the boil and cook for at least 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and the cream and re-heat without boiling.
- Meanwhile, cook the asparagus tips in boiling salted water until tender. Drain well and add to the soup just before serving.
This Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe serves 4. Absolutely Delicious!