Serve the French Onion Soup in 4 individual soup bowls. Cut the toast into halves and float a piece in each bowl. Sprinkle with cheese and brown.
Ingredients for French Onion Soup:
- 3 large onions
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 1½ pints (900 ml) vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 2 slices toast
- 2-3 oz (56 – 84 g) grated cheese
Method for French Onion Soup:
- Peel and slice the onions thinly.
- Melt the butter in a pan and lightly fry the onions until just browning.
- Add the stock, with the salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 15 – 20 minutes until the onions are cooked.
- Serve the soup in 4 individual soup bowls. Cut the toast into halves and float a piece in each bowl.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and put under a hot grill for a minute or two to brown the cheese.
This French Onion Soup Recipe serves 4.