Pizza Margherita traditionally has the colours of the Italian flag, red with the tomatoes, white with the mozzarella and green with the basil.
Ingredients for Pizza Margherita:
- 1 lb (450 g) pizza dough (See Pizza Dough recipe)
- Pizzaiola tomato Sauce
- 8 oz (225 g) Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Finely chopped basil
- Olive Oil
Method for Pizza Margherita:
- Prepare the Pizza Dough.
- Spread with the Pizzaiola tomato sauce.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with basil and olive oil.
- Bake as described under Pizza Dough.
Makes one large pizza. If smaller pizzas are required, divide the dough into small lumps, roll into balls and leave to rise separately