Use this tomato sauce to spread on the base of your home-made pizzas.
Ingredients for Pizzaiola Sauce:
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes (skinned and diced) or 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Method for Pizzaiola Sauce:
- Chop the onion and the garlic and fry in the olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs and spices and allow it to simmer for about 30 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Either put through a blender if you prefer a smooth mix or leave it as a chunkier mix.
- Allow to cool down before spreading on the pizza.
For a more concentrated taste, add some tomato purée to the sauce.
If you’re trying to use up some home-grown tomatoes, you can make it in a larger quantity as it will store in a clean jar in the fridge for a week or so. Alternatively, you can freeze in batches.