Ingredients for Cheese and Chilli Pepper Soufflé:
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ pint (300 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz (112 g) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 2 chilli peppers
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Method for Cheese and Chilli Pepper Soufflé:
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir the flour into it, gradually adding the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and comes to the boil. Stir in the grated cheese until it melts. Remove from the heat.
- De-seed and finely chop the pepper. Stir in the yolks of the eggs to the sauce, mix well and then add the chopped peppers.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry and fold gradually into the cheese sauce.
- Grease a 2 pint (1.1 litre) soufflé dish and sprinkle it with the parmesan cheese.
- Turn the soufflé mixture into the dish and bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 ((350°F/180°C) for about 45 minutes until it is well risen and golden brown.
Note: If you haven’t got any chilli peppers, add a few drops of Tabasco sauce.