Ingredients for Parsnip Balls:
- 1½ lb (675 g) parsnips
- 3 oz (85 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Salt and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (if liked)
- 1 egg
- 2 oz (56 g) dried breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Method for Parsnip Balls:
- Peel and cut the parsnips into 1 in (2.5 cm) pieces. Put into a pan and cover with cold water. Add salt, cover the pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the parsnips and cream. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (if used) and mash well.
- Allow to cool and then stir in the egg.
- Form the mixture using your hands into small balls and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to 200°C/400°F. If a frying basket is being used, place as many balls as will fit without touching. Lower the basket carefully and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat with more batches of the balls until they are all cooked.
- Serve hot.
Can be served as a side dish or just eaten as a snack.
Leave a Comment Here on Parsnip Balls Recipe