Ingredients for Italian Style Lamb:
- 1½ lb (675 g) shoulder of lamb
- 2 oz (50 ml) olive oil
- 1 stick celery
- 1 green pepper
- 4 oz (112 g) mushrooms
- 1½ lbs (675 g) tomatoes
- 2 fl oz (50 ml) red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Method for Italian Style Lamb:
- Finely dice the celery, mushrooms and pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan and soften the veg in the oil.
- Remove the bone from the lamb and cut the meat into bite-size cubes. Add to the veg and seal on all sides.
- Drain and transfer to an oven-proof dish.
- Skin and chop the tomatoes and put through a blender. Add the puréed tomatoes, along with the herbs and wine, to the pan juices.
- Bring to the boil, season to taste with salt and pepper and pour over the lamb and veg.
- Cover the casserole and bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for about 1 ¾ hours until the meat is tender.
Note: Goes particularly well with macaroni or noodles.