Recipe for Barbecued Asparagus sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Barbecued Asparagus:
- A bundle of asparagus spears (24 Spears)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt.
- 1 tablespoon of crushed Madagascar green peppercorns (Black peppercorns are ok).
- 2 tablespoons of good olive oil, preferably extra-virgin.
Method for Barbecued Asparagus:
- Take the ‘blunt’ end of each spear in your hands and gently bend until it snaps. They will naturally break where the wood fibres end.
- Tidy the ends of the spears with A knife. Reserve the fibrous ends to make a Spring time classic asparagus soup.
- Stand spears upright in tall jug add half tablespoon of salt and cover totally with boiling water then cover the jug.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes then transfer the spears to cold water to stop the cooking process and retain colour.
- Drain and dry the cooled asparagus spears, place in container with remaining salt, pepper, oil and gently toss, then chill for 1 hour or more in the fridge.
- Char grill 3 -4 minutes each side and serve with one or better still both asparagus dips (see below)