Great straight from the oven, this sticky gingerbread cake will also last nicely for a few days in the cupboard. Eat it smothered in butter, warm and drizzled with custard or cream, or simply on its own.
Ingredients for Sticky Gingerbread:
- 4oz Butter
- 9oz Black treacle
- 4oz Granulated Sugar
- 10 oz Plain Flour
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tps Ground Ginger
- 1tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Egg beaten
- ¼ pt Milk
- ½ tsp vinegar
Method for Sticky Gingerbread:
- Brush a tin with melted butter and line the base with greaseproof paper cut to fit.
- First weight the treacle out (place the saucepan on the scale, zero it then add the treacle). Add the butter and sugar and melt the ingredients together over a low heat. Leave to cool slightly.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the melted mixture with the beaten eggs, milk and vinegar.
- Stir the ingredients together then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake at 160° C, Gas Mark 3 for 1 ½ hours until it feels springy to the touch and is slightly shrinking away from the sides.