Makes about 5.5kg (12lb) and the vegetables can vary with the seasons.
Ingredients for Sweet Green Pickle :
- 4 red peppers
- 2 large cucumbers
- 3 green peppers
- 1 cauliflower
- 1kg (2lb) onions
- 2.75kg (6lb) green tomatoes
- 450g (1lb) courgettes
- 75g (3 oz ) salt
- 750ml (1 ¼ pints) cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 25g (1oz) black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons either celery or fennel seeds
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 1kg (2lb) white sugar
Method for Sweet Green Pickle:
- Prepare and chop all the veg into fairly small dice. Break the cauliflower into small florets. Put them all in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Put a plate in to weigh it down and leave overnight.
- Next day drain the brine and put the veg in a pan with 300ml (10 floz) of the vinegar. Add 250ml (8 floz) water and bring to the boil. Drain immediately and do not allow the veg to cook.
- Put the remaining vinegar in another pan, add the spices and the flour mixed with a bit of vinegar so it is a paste. Warm the pan and add the sugar and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Mix the veg and sauce and put into warmed sterilised jars. Seal immediately and keep for 1 month before opening.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles