Makes about 5.5kg (12lb) and the vegetables can vary with the seasons.
Ingredients for Sweet Green Pickle :
- 4 red peppers
- 2 large cucumbers
- 3 green peppers
- 1 cauliflower
- 1kg (2lb) onions
- 2.75kg (6lb) green tomatoes
- 450g (1lb) courgettes
- 75g (3 oz ) salt
- 750ml (1 ¼ pints) cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 25g (1oz) black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons either celery or fennel seeds
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 1kg (2lb) white sugar
Method for Sweet Green Pickle:
- Prepare and chop all the veg into fairly small dice. Break the cauliflower into small florets. Put them all in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Put a plate in to weigh it down and leave overnight.
- Next day drain the brine and put the veg in a pan with 300ml (10 floz) of the vinegar. Add 250ml (8 floz) water and bring to the boil. Drain immediately and do not allow the veg to cook.
- Put the remaining vinegar in another pan, add the spices and the flour mixed with a bit of vinegar so it is a paste. Warm the pan and add the sugar and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Mix the veg and sauce and put into warmed sterilised jars. Seal immediately and keep for 1 month before opening.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Leave a Comment Here on Sweet Green Pickle Recipe