Recipe for Lemon and Carrot Marmalade. The same proportions can be used for Grapefruit, Half Lemons and Limes and all Limes.
Ingredients for Lemon and Carrot Marmalade :
- 1 ½ lb lemons
- 1 lb carrots
- 4 lb sugar
- 2-4 pints of water
Method for Lemon and Carrot Marmalade:
- Wash and clean fruit and carrots
- Cut fruit into quarters and carrots into chunks.
- Process lemons and carrots in a food processor. (I like it to look like a pulp)
- Cover and soak the mixture overnight in the water.
- Place lemons and carrots into a large pot and bring to boil and reduce the liquid to half
- Add sugar and bring back to the boil
- Simmer gently and keep stirring for 45 minutes. (No longer than 45 minutes as it will have a candied taste)
- Take off the heat and pour in to sterilized jars.
I have used the same recipe for Grapefruit, Half Lemons and Limes and all Limes. Yummy.
Half a cup of Whiskey or Brandy can be added towards at the end. I have also used mixed spice (or Nutmeg/Cinnamon on its own) for a Christmassy taste.
Hope you like this unusual recipe. It was given to me several years ago and I haven’t had shop bought marmalade since. It’s lovely.
This marmalade, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge.
For More Information on Making Marmalade