Ingredients for Plum and Orange Jam:
- 1 orange
- 2 lb plums
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 1 kg sugar
- 1 sachet pectin powder
Method for Plum and Orange Jam:
- Peel orange, put juice, peel and pulp in pan-simmer for 10 minutes then put to one side.
- Put plums into large jam pan, pulverise until a smooth a puree as you like. Add cinnamon stick, lemon juice and contents of orange pan.
- Bring to almost boil (until plums all broken down) and add sugar and pectin.
- Bring to boil and boil hard continuously stirring for 4 minutes only. (Longer if your brand of pectin needs a longer boil-check on pack)
- Remove cinnamon stick and jar as usual.
This plum and orange jam, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge.
For More Information on Jam Making
How to Make Jam, Jellies & Marmalade
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...
Would this work with Damsons ?? And why the need for added pectin ? I thought Plums were full of the stuff.
I have made this today but used ginger and it is lovely! Thank you.