Tuna goes surprisingly well with marrow and the topping to this Tuna Stuffed Marrow Recipe becomes lovely and crispy as it bakes.
Ingredients for Tuna Stuffed Marrow :
- 1 marrow, halved length-ways and seeds scooped out to leave two hollowed out longboat shapes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chopped olives, black or green
- 2 tablespoons torn up fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – 2 cans tuna chunks, drained
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons each of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheddar
Method for Tuna Stuffed Marrow:
- Preheat the oven to 150°c
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan and add onion and garlic. Fry gently until soft but not too brown.
- Stir in tomatoes and puree and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in olives, basil and tuna, trying not to break the tuna up too much, season to taste.
- Place marrow in an ovenproof dish and fill hollow with tuna mix. Sprinkle over cheese and breadcrumbs and bake for 15 – 30 minutes until marrow is cooked when pierced with a knife and topping is golden and crispy.