My vegetarian daughter-in-law loves the gravy from this snowball turnips dish.
Ingredients for Snowball Turnips:
- Snowball turnips, about big golf ball size for tenderness, topped and tailed and scrubbed clean, no need to peel
- 1 onion peeled and chunked rather than chopped
- Stock cube of your choice (beef, chicken or veggie)
- Knob of butter (optional)
Method for Snowball Turnips:
- Place prepared vegetables in a saucepan just big enough to hold them snugly in a single layer and pour over enough stock to just cover.
- Bring to boil then simmer for 10 – 20 mins, covered, until the turnip is tender.
- Remove lid and increase heat to high then boil until stock is reduced by about ½ – 2/3rds to a glossy gravy.
- Stir in butter if required and serve.
This recipe for snowball turnips can be vegetarian / vegan using vegetable stock rather than a meat stock.