Ingredients for Apple, Date and Chilli Chutney:
- 3lb 12 oz cooking apples
- 1 x 250 gram pack of stoned dates
- 2 level teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 1 x 568 ml distilled white malt vinegar
- 1 lb 10 oz dark muscovado sugar
- 3 medium cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 2 medium onions (peeled and chopped)
- ½ level teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 level teaspoon salt
Method for Apple, Date and Chilli Chutney:
- Peel, core and chop the apples and place them in a large pan.
- Add all of the other ingredients and stir well.
- Cook over a low heat to dissolve the sugar, then increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 75 – 90 minutes, stirring often.
- When the mixture is just thick enough to leave a trail when running a wooden spoon through it, ladle into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- Label with contents when fully cool.
Makes about 5 lbs of Apple, Date and Chilli Chutney.
Allow a month or two for the flavours to fully develop before eating.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information