Ingredients for Sugar-Free Dried Apricot Cake:
- 8 oz dried apricots
- ½ pint orange juice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 8 oz wholemeal flour
- 4 fl oz sunflower oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz sultanas
- 4 oz raisins
Method for Sugar-Free Dried Apricot Cake:
- Put the dried apricots in a saucepan, with the ½ pint of orange juice.
- Bring up to a ” boil”, take them off the heat and leave to soak for approx 3-4 hrs.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180c/350f.
- Drain the apricots (keep the juice ) and then blend with 4 fl oz of the juice.
- In a large bowl, sieve the wholemeal flour with 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda and 1 teaspoon mixed spice.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and mix in the apricot puree, the sunflower oil and eggs (whisked) and beat together well.
- Fold in the sultanas and raisins.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 inch lined cake tin.
- Bake for 45/55 minutes.
- Skewer test.
- When cold, store in the ” fridge ” wrapped in clear film.
This is a lovely moist cake and good for folk who cannot have sugar.