After I have made Jam/Jelly with my blackcurrants, I usually find a few more” hidden away” and make this.
- Into a clean jam jar (or a tad bigger if you have it) put a good large handful of dry blackcurrants (topped and tailed).
- Make a sugar syrup with 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and simmer this on low heat, do not stir just let it move gently for approx 20 minutes and it will get thicker and syrupy
- Now let it cool for 10 minutes or so (you don’t want to crack the glass jar!!) and pour over the blackcurrants.
- Top up the jar with any alcohol you have in the cupboard, ie Brandy, Whisky, Gin, Vodka, White rum etc etc. (I have used mead (given to us) Ouzo (from Greece) even Sherry if I had nothing else!!!).
- Screw the lid on and leave somewhere cool for approx 8 to 12 weeks
- NOW TASTE . If it needs more sugar spoon more in and shake every now and then and after a few more weeks try it again .
- If it is good, strain through muslin and funnel it into a bottle. Label (I put start date & bottle date on).
- Tuck it away for a special occasion and/or add a drop over ice-cream (adults only).
It only gets better the longer you leave it !!
I have some over 5 years old and it is delicious!!!
Use some of your home grown fruit to make your own supply of fruit drinks, both soft and alcoholic. What are Fruit Syrups & Squashes? Syrups are strained fruit juices, sweetened with sugar, whilst squashes have part of the fruit tissue included. ...