Ingredients for Hot Carrot and Chilli Chutney:
- 3 lb finely grated carrots
- 2 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 large lemon – grated with rind and juice
- 4 – 6 fresh chopped chillies
- 12 tablespoon mustard seeds (white if possible)
- 2 heaped teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
- 3 heaped teaspoons coriander
- 1 heaped teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ pint malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato purée
- 6 oz brown sugar
Method for Hot Carrot and Chilli Chutney:
- Heat the oil, add the mustard seeds and pop them.
- Add alll the other spices and fry for about 2 minutes, add lemon juice and vinegar and mix altogether.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and give a good stir.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, adding a little extra oil, and seal.
- Label with contents when fully cool.
Makes about 4 lbs of Hot Carrot and Chilli Chutney.
The carrot adds a sweetness and body to the chutney which gets its heat from the chilli of course
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information