This was a bit of an experiment as I had a bag of oranges to spare! I made it at the end of August and tasted today (13th December) and it’s lovely.
Ingredients for Tomato and Orange Chutney :
- 3 lb ripe tomatoes
- 6 small thin skinned oranges (weight 1½ lbs)
- 1 lb onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pint malt vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 8 oz demerara sugar
- 6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
Method for Tomato and Orange Chutney:
- Skin and slice the tomatoes. Wash and careful scrub the oranges (with their peel on) and cut into thin slices. Cut the slices in half and remove any pips. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Put into a pan with the salt and ½ pint of the vinegar and stew until soft (the orange peel takes a long time but you can continue to soften after the sugar, spices and rest of the vinegar is added).
- Add the spices, crushed garlic and the sugar, along with the rest of the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- Label with contents when fully cool.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information