Ingredients for Aubergine Caviar:
- 2 small purple aubergines (eggplants) – weighing approx 560g together
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (ALTERNATIVE : 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon sesame oil)
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
Method for Aubergine Caviar:
Oven: convection heat 210°C (410°F) – Gas Mark 6
- Place whole aubergines in a metal pan and cook for 35 minutes (turning them once so both sides cook evenly). If you do not have a convection oven than I suggest a cooking time of 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes so you don’t burn your fingers tips off like I did the first time!
- Next peal the skin off each aubergine and remove the green tops
- Place the flesh of the aubergines in a sieve and with a fork press out as much water as you can
- In a mixing bowl combine aubergines, olive oil, lemon juice, pressed garlic clove, salt and pepper. Blend together with a hand-mix until smooth.
I have given this Aubergine Caviar Recipe to several friends who love it and made it for our last Allotment holders get together – very popular – added some chilli oil to half the batch for a bit more kick.
Not for garlic haters! Goes well as a snack on Morrisons’ Organic Wheat crackers.