I have not long returned from a holiday in Dorset, where Apple Cake can be found everywhere. This is a recipe I have found to be very nice.
Ingredients for Dorset Apple Cake :
- 225g cooking apples, peeled , cored and chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 225g plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 115g butter – diced
- 165g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method for Dorset Apple Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (Gas Mark 4).
- Grease and line a 7inch round cake tin.
- Toss the apple with the lemon juice and set aside. sift the flour and baking powder together then rub in the butter, until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir 115g of the sugar, the apple and the egg, mix well, adding a little of the milk at a time to make a soft doughy mix.
- Transfer into your tin.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the cake mix.
- Bake for 45-50mins. leave to cool in the tin for 10mins, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.