You can tell if you’re eating a true American style muffin because the air holes inside will be all different sizes and the texture is between a scone and a cake. If this isn’t the case you’ve been sold a cup cake which has not been made by hand!
They are really easy to make. The important thing to remember is DON’T use a mixer and DON’T over mix. All you have to do is barely incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet – it doesn’t matter if there are lumps and bits of flour showing, they will disappear when you bake them. Makes 12-14 generous sized muffins.
Ingredients for Blueberry Muffins:
- 750g plain flour
- 2 heaped tablespoons baking powder
- 300g caster sugar
- 250g (weight) of sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 500ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 150g blueberries
Method for Blueberry Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Put paper muffin cases into a muffin tin.
- Get together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately first by sieving the flour and baking powder into a fairly big bowl then adding the sugar and fruit. Stir gently so everything is evenly mixed.
- In a large jug or a different bowl put the wet stuff – the (weighed) oil, whisked eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Pour all the liquid into the centre of the dried ingredients. Using a big spoon (not a whisk) barely mix. If it still looks lumpy it’s just right, if it looks smooth, don’t mix it so well next time!
- Using a spoon, put the mixture into the paper cases, filling them so them are mounded half an inch higher than the edge of the paper if you want to get the traditional mushroom shape to your muffins. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, according to how hot your oven is.
- Take out of the oven, cool for just 10 minutes then remove from the pan to finish cooling. Eat and enjoy!
Been using this recipe for a while now, but just change what I put in it.
Instead of Blueberries I have put lemon zest & juice in them & have made more orange ones this morning.
Have even made banana muffins using this recipe 😉
Hi do you really need all that oil in them or can you use an alternative?
Tried this recipe today and loved it.