This may not be the best looking pud in the world, but by ‘eck, it tastes good! You can use any fruit you want to or combination of fruit, but this is my favourite (well, until the rhubarb’s ready, then it’ll be the damsons after that, then redcurrant and raspberries…..)
Ingredients for Apple and Blackberry Slump:
- 1lb cooking apples
- 1oz butter
- 1/2 lb blackberries
- 3oz caster sugar
- ½ lb/250g tub mascarpone
For the Slump:
- 3oz butter cut into pieces
- 8oz self raising flour
- 2oz caster sugar
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1/4 pt milk
Method of Apple and Blackberry Slump:
- Peel , core and thinly slice apples. Melt butter in pan and add apple slices and toss around for couple of minutes until starting to soften. Tip into a greased 3 pint dish then add blackberries and sugar and mix lightly.
- Rub butter into flour (or use food processor) until you have crumbs, then stir in sugar and lemon zest. Make a well in the middle of the crumbs and add the milk to make a soft mixture.
- Spoon blobs of mascarpone over the fruit and then follow it with blobs of slump – if there are any gaps it doesn’t matter at all – it will look fine! Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 200c/fan 180/gas 6 until it’s golden.
- It’s best to leave it for about 10 mins before eating for no other reason than to save your tongue from being burnt!!!
Despite the fact this has got ½ lb of mascarpone in it, a jug of custard really is a must, or cream or icecream……….
PS: This is meant to serve 6 but 4 of us demolish it easily!