Scottish Cranachan Recipe Submitted by MoreWhisky
A traditional Scottish desert that is absolutely delicious! Very rich so a little goes a long way.
Ingredients for Cranachan:
- 1lb/500g raspberries
- 3oz/75g pinhead oatmeal
- 6 tbsp malt whisky
- 3 tbsp heather honey
- 1pt/600 ml double cream
Method for Cranachan:
- Spread oatmeal on a baking sheet and toast in a medium oven until crisp for 3-6 minutes.
- Be careful they don’t burn.
- Leave to cool.
- Whip the cream until it is thick but not stiff.
- Blend all the raspberries (except 2 which are for decoration) until they form a smooth purée.
- Combine oatmeal, whisky, sugar and cream and raspberries.
- Spoon the mixture into tall glasses
- Chill for an hour or two before serving.
A lovely alternative to trifle, Scottish Cranachan really benefits from the whisky. Do use a decent whisky if you have one available since it is such an important component of the dish.
Certain heretics have suggested the use of Irish whisky, Cognac or Armagnac. These people are now running across the Scottish highlands being pursued by packs of vicious, half-starved haggis.
This is absolutley delicious. Very rich so a little goes a long way. Great for a supper party.