Ingredients for Gardeners’ Chicken:
- 16 small new potatoes scrubbed
- 2 med. onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 med. carrots, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 med parsnip peeled and cut into finger-length strips
- 2 small leeks, cut into rings and well washed
- 4 chicken legs and 4 chicken thighs
- 3/4 pint of chicken stock
- 4 fl.oz. dry white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 level tspn dried oregano
- 1/2 level tspn dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz fresh or frozen peas
- 2 level tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Method for Gardeners’ Chicken:
- Put the potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnip and leeks in a small roasting tin and lay the chicken on the top.
- Pour stock, wine and lemon juice over the chicken and sprinkle with the garlic, oregano and thyme and season with the pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 1 hour 15 mins or until no pink juices ooze from the thighs, when pricked. During cooking turn the chicken and gently stir the vegetables occasionally, and baste with the pan juices. Add the peas for the last 10 mins of cooking. If the juices have evaporated too quickly pour in a little water.
- When cooked serve sprinkled with the parsley. Green salad contrasts well with this dish and if you feel extra hungry, serve with ciabatta bread (or similar).
Whilst this is cooking you can go in the garden and ………….. enjoy.
Serves 4. Preparation time 20 mins, cooking time 1hr 15 mins, Oven 200°C – gas mark 6.