The beauty of any chutney is that no two batches are the sane. Different types of fruit in different proportions will change the flavour a little every time.
Ingredients for Mixed Fruit Chutney:
- 1 lb (450 g) onions
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) mixed fruit – apples, pears, plums, damsons etc.
- 4 oz (112 g) dried dates
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 lb (450 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) vinegar
Method for Mixed Fruit Chutney:
- Peel and chop the onions and boil in a little water until they are soft. Drain.
- Wash, peel and core the fruits and chop into pieces. Chop the dates. Crush the garlic.
- Put all the ingredients into a pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring frequently until the chutney is thick.
- Ladle into hot, clean, sterilized jars, cover and seal.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes about 3 lb (1.4 kg) of Mixed Fruit Chutney.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information