Ingredients for Red Cabbage and Onion Pickle:
- 1½ lb (675 g) red cabbage
- 8 oz (225 g) pickling onions
- 3 oz (85 g) salt
- 1 pint (570 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 oz (56 g) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 medium piece of root ginger
- 6 black peppercorns
Method for Red Cabbage and Onion Pickle:
- Cut the cabbage into quarters, wash well. Cut away the tough inner core and then shred the cabbage into ½” (1 cm) shreds.
- Peel the onions and leave whole.
- Layer the cabbage and onions in a bowl with the salt. Leave for 24 hours.
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Pack into hot, clean, sterilized jars.
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a pan. Roughly chop the root ginger, break the cinnamon stick, and put into a small muslin bag with the other spices. Tie and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the boiling vinegar over the cabbage and onions, cover and seal.
- Label when cool.
Makes about 3 lb (1.7 kg) of Red Cabbage and Onion Pickle. Ready after 1-2 weeks and goes particularly well with all type of sausages.
For More Information on Pickles & Vinegars
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Make Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars, Pickling Vinegars
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...
Delicious, I have a large spoonful for a low calorie snack.