Ingredients for Beetroot and Horseradish Pickle:
- 2 lb (900 g) beetroot
- 2 oz (56 g) horseradish
- 2 oz (56 g) sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
Method for Beetroot and Horseradish Pickle:
- Cook, peel and chop the beetroot.
- Grater the horseradish and pack into hot, clean, sterilized jars with the chopped beetroot.
- Put the sugar, vinegar, salt and the pickling spices (tied in a muslin bag) into a pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the muslin bag and pour the boiling vinegar over the beetroot and horseradish.
- Cover and seal immediately.
- Label when cool.
Makes about 2½ lbs (1.35 kg) of Beetroot and Horseradish Pickle.
An unusual combination of flavours that works surprisingly well. Kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, Beetroot and Horseradish Pickle should keep well in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information on Pickles