Ingredients for Pickled Peppers:
- 2 lb (900 g) green peppers
- Piece of dried root ginger
- 12 black peppercorns
- 3 chillies
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 12 oz (338 g) onions
- 2 oz (56 g) white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pint (570 ml) white distilled vinegar
Method for Pickled Peppers:
- Cut the tops of the peppers, de-seed and chop. Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Bruise the ginger and tie up in a muslin bag with the peppercorns and chillies and place in a pan with the sugar, salt and vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the blanched peppers and peeled and chopped onion to the pan and cook gently until the degree of crispness you want is reached.
- Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices.
- Discard the spices, remove the peppers with a slotted spoon and pack into clean, hot, sterilized jars with the thin slices of garlic and mustard seeds.
- Pour the hot vinegar over the peppers.
- Cover and seal immediately.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes about 3 lbs (1.4 kg) of Pickled Peppers. Allow 6 weeks for the complex flavours to develop fully
For More Information on Pickles & Relishes
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...