Ingredients for Sweet Corn & Pepper Relish:
- 2 lb (900 g) sweet corn kernels
- 1 lb (450 g) white cabbage
- 1 lb (450 g) onions
- 2 green peppers
- 2 red peppers
- 8z (225 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1¾ pints (1 litre) white wine or cider vinegar
Method for Sweet Corn & Pepper Relish:
- Put the vinegar, sugar, salt, ground cloves, mustard and turmeric into a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Finely cjop the cabbage, onions and peppers. Add them with the sweet corn to the vinegar mixture.
- Bring back to the boil and stir in the flour.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until fairly stiff but still moist.
- Ladle into hot, clean, sterilized jars, cover and seal.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes about 4 lb (1.8 kg) of Sweet Corn & Pepper Relish.
We don’t quite know how, but a barbecue without a sweetcorn relish just isn’t a barbecue. It works even better with vegetarian burgers which can be a little drier than beef burgers.