These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section.
Choux pastry is used for éclairs, profiteroles, cream buns, cheese puffs etc. A light and airy pastry with a hollow centre cavity that is usually shaped through a piping bag to make both sweet and savoury dishes.
It isn’t an easy pastry to make but choux pastry is well worth the time and effort. If you follow the recipe carefully, you will succeed.
Enjoy home made luxuries like chocolate éclairs and whipped cream filled choux buns!
Choux Pastry Ingredients:
- ½ pint water
- 4 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 5 oz (140 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ oz (14 g) sugar (for sweet pastries)
Method for Making Choux Pastry:
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and then re-sift to ensure the result is airy.
- Put the water and butter into a saucepan. For sweet choux pastry add a little sugar at this stage or for savoury you could add more salt and pepper.Heat slowly until the butter melts and then remove from the heat.
- Tip the flour into the pan stir until well blended.
- Put the pan back onto a low heat and stir briskly until the mixture forms a firm ball, leaving the sides of the pan clean. It’s important to cook the flour so it forms the right consistency. All the flour should be incorporated and none left on the sides of the pan.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. The mixture should end up smooth, shiny and firm enough to to stand in soft peaks when lifted with a spoon.
- Use immediately if possible but will keep for a few hours in the pan covered with a lid to prevent drying out.
Once cooled, the fillings and toppings can be added.
Pastry Making Guides
- Pastry Making – Basic Guide & Tips to How to Make Pastry
- How to Make Filo (Phyllo) Pastry
- How to Make Cheese Pastry
- How to Make Choux Pastry
- How to Make Flaky Pastry
- How to Make Fleur Pastry
- How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- How to Make Puff Pastry
- How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- How to Make Suet Pastry
- How to Make Potato Pastry