These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section.
A delicious and rich pastry used for sweet and savoury pies, eg sausage rolls and cream slices.
Flaky pastry is a little harder to make than most pastries as the flaky texture is achieved by kneading lightly, then folding and rolling the dough with dabs of the fat between to produce air pockets and help to separate the flakes.
Flaky Pastry Ingredients:
- 9 oz (253 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 3 oz (84 g) lard or hard vegetable fat
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Method For Making Flaky Pastry:
NB The two resting periods in the method are important.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Divide the fat into 4 portions, so that there are two equal portions of lard and two equal portion of butter (or margarine).
- Take one portion of lard and rub unto the flour.
- Add the lemon juice and sufficient water to mix to a stiff dough. Turn on to a lightly floured board and knead lightly.
- Roll out to a strip and flake one portion of the butter (or margarine) over two-thirds of the strip of pastry, leaving a slight margin along the top and sides.
- Fold the pastry into three, folding over the uncovered third of the pastry first. Seal the edges with the rolling pin. Give the pastry a half turn and leave in a cool place or the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Continue rolling and folding using next a portion of large and finally a portion of butter until the pastry has been rolled and folded 4 times.
- Leave again in a cool place or the fridge for 20 minutes or longer until you are ready to use. Cover with cling-film to stop it drying out.
- Roll and use for sweet or savoury pastries.
Pastry Making Guides
- Pastry Making – Basic Guide & Tips to How to Make Pastry
- How to Make Filo (Phyllo) Pastry
- How to Make Cheese Pastry
- How to Make Choux Pastry
- How to Make Flaky Pastry
- How to Make Fleur Pastry
- How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- How to Make Puff Pastry
- How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- How to Make Suet Pastry
- How to Make Potato Pastry