These articles compliment our recipes section.
An easy to make pastry that is used for savoury vegetable, meat and fish pies.
This pastry became very popular during the second world war as a method of stretching the flour ration further.
It’s surprisingly good, making a light pastry that remained popular for a long time after flour rationing ended.
As the years have gone by, it’s almost been forgotten but do give it a try before some celebrity chef discovers potato pastry and the price of potatoes rockets!
Potato Pastry Ingredients:
- 3 oz (84 g) butter or margarine
- 5 oz (140 g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz (112 g) cooled, cooked potatoes
- Salt to taste
Method for Making Potato Pastry:
- Beat the fat with a fork until soft and work in the sieved flour, baking powder, salt and sieved potato.
- Work with the hands to a pliable dough.
- Turn on to a lightly floured board and roll out.
- Use for savoury pastries.
Pastry Making Guides
- Pastry Making – Basic Guide & Tips to How to Make Pastry
- How to Make Filo (Phyllo) Pastry
- How to Make Cheese Pastry
- How to Make Choux Pastry
- How to Make Flaky Pastry
- How to Make Fleur Pastry
- How to Make Hot Water Pastry
- How to Make Puff Pastry
- How to Make Rough Puff Pastry
- How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- How to Make Suet Pastry
- How to Make Potato Pastry