An old recipe but still a firm favourite and purported to ward of colds as well!
Ingredients for Savoury Stuffed Onions:
- 8 medium sized onions, each of comparable size
- 1 tablespoonful chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoonful english mustard
- 1 cup of minced, cooked ham or minced beef
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoonful mixed herbs
- 1 oz butter
Method for Savoury Stuffed Onions:
- Remove the outside skins of the onions and boil them gently for 15 – 20 minutes until they are cooked but not soft.
- Carefully scoop out the centre portions from each onion, leaving the shells about ½ inch thick.
- Fill the cavities with the savoury ingredients.
- Place them in a greased dish and dot them with butter.
- Bake in a pre-heated at 425° F for 25 – 30 minutes.
Try sprinkling the top of each onion with some grated cheese instead of the butter before baking.
You can also finely chop the onion that you have scooped from the centre of the onions and mix in with the other savoury ingredients.
Serve with tomato sauce or brown gravy.
Makes 4 two-onion servings as a side dish.