Ingredients for Pumpkin Soup with Crispy Bacon:
- 1 pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ pints chicken stock
- 2 oz butter
- 1 pint milk
- 2 teaspoonfuls fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoonful dried thyme)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Method for Pumpkin Soup with Crispy Bacon:
On serving: 2 rashers smoked, rindless bacon, chopped, fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pan, fry the chopped onions for about 5 minutes (until softened), add the chopped pumpkin, cover and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, salt, pepper and milk. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Purée the mixture until very smooth in a blender or food processor. Fry or grill the bacon until it becomes crispy and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the stock to the puréed mixture and reheat until boiling.
- Serve with the bacon and parsley scattered over the top.
Use some of your home grown pumpkin to make this delicious soup.
Pumpkins and Squashes are very under used but are amazing because they lend themselves to both savoury and sweet dishes and also have along shelf live (up to 6 months).
This recipe originally appeared in the National Vegetable Society Bulletin