A delicious autumnal chutney that goes well with almost all cold meats, cheeses and curries.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Chutney:
- 2lb (900 g) pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 1b (450 g) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pint (570 ml) white vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons allspice berries
- 1 ½ teaspoons white peppercorns
- 1 lb (450 g) onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ lbs (675 g) brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons of black peppercorns
Method for Pumpkin Chutney:
- Place the chopped pumpkin in a pan and cover with vinegar, add the sliced onions, chopped garlic and chopped tomatoes.
- Crush the allspice and peppercorns, add both to the pan then stir thoroughly and leave for about 1 hour.
- Add the ginger, salt and sugar to the mixture and bring it to the boil slowly.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and taking care that the consistency does not get too much like that of jam.
- Allow the chutney to cool, pour it into clean jars, cover and store.
Ready to eat in about 4 weeks but better if left for a couple of months for the flavours to mature.
General Chutney Making Information
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...