Recipe for Hot Spicy Beetroot originally submitted in the National Vegetable Society Bulletin.
A spicy beetroot recipe, ideal for serving with boiled meats.
Ingredients for Hot Spicy Beetroot:
- 3 medium sized cooked beetroot
- 1 tablespoonful vinegar
- 1 teaspoonful sugar
- Pinch each of salt, cayenne pepper and mustard.
- 1 tablespoonful butter
- 1 teaspoonful Worcester sauce
- ½ teaspoonful mixed spice
Method for Hot Spicy Beetroot:
- Heat the butter in a vinegar proof sauce pan and add all the ingredients except for the beetroot, stir well and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Dice the beetroot and add it to the mixture.
- Heat gently until the beetroot is heated through. Serve with boiled meats.
Digger – it’s like that healthy spread you put on your bread but tastes wonderful!
How long will this keep? Can you freeze it?
This isn’t one of my recipes but from the National Veg. However, looking at the ingredients, I can’t see any reason that there would be a problem in freezing it. If refrigerated, it should be OK for at least a week.