Ingredients for Fruit Roll:
For the Sponge Roll:
- 3 free-range eggs
- 3 oz (84 g) caster sugar
- 4 oz (112 g) flour
For the Fruit Filling & Sauce:
- 8 oz (225 g) of gooseberries, red or black currants, blackberries or any other soft fruit.
- 2 fluid oz (56 ml) water
- 2 oz (56 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
Method for Fruit Roll:
- Poach the fruit in water until tender. (This will depend on what you are using).
- Drain well, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Purée the fruit and stir in the sugar. Taste to make sure that it’s sweet enough. Put aside to cool.
- Whisk the egg and sugar until they are very light and the whisk leaves an impression for a few seconds after it’s removed.
- Gently fold in the flour.
- Turn onto a greased and lined Swiss roll tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 10 minutes until firm.
- Turn out onto clean greaseproof paper. Spread with the fruit purée and roll length-ways. Lift, carefully, onto a serving dish.
- Heat the liquid remaining from poaching the fruit. Stir in the arrowroot, mixed with a spoonful of water.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Pour over the sponge roll and serve.
Serves 4. Recipe for Fruit Roll dessert. Like a Swiss roll but using a plain sponge and soft fruit with a fruit sauce. Delightful with a dollop of whipped cream.