Ingredients for Onion Tart:
- 8 oz (225 g) wholemeal shortcrust pastry
- 8 oz (225 g) onions
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ pint (285 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sugar (optional)
Method for Onion Tart:
- Roll out the pastry and use to line one large or six small flan dishes. Prick the base and put in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and sauté in melted butter but don’t allow them to brown.
- Stir in the flour and gradually add the milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika and sugar.
- Spoon out the filling into the chilled pastry cases and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark6 (200°C/400°F) for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is crispy and the filling has puffed up.
Serves 6. Can be served hot or cold. Nice with a crisp green salad and potato salad or boiled new potatoes. You could make this onion tart using cheese pastry instead of ordinary shortcrust – cheese and onion tend to work together well.
Pastry Making Help & Information