Ingredients for Sweet Potato, Apple & Ham Bake:
- 1 medium onion
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) dessert apples
- 1 lb (450) cooked ham (gammon steaks or from a bacon joint)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1½ lbs (700 g) sweet potatoes
- 2 oz (56 g) dark brown sugar
Method for Sweet Potato, Apple & Ham Bake:
- Boil the sweet potatoes in their skins until just tender. Allow to cool slightly, then peel and cut into thick slices.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Sauté in 1 oz (28 g) of the butter.
- Chop the cooked ham into thick chunks. Peel, de-core and dice the apples.
- Mix the ham and apples in with the onions. Stir in the mustard.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased oven-proof dish.
- Arrange an overlapping layer of the potato slices on top.
- Mix the brown sugar with the remaining, softened, butter and spread over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for about 45 minutes until tender and golden.
Serves 4. Ideal for a cold winter’s night. A delicious sweet savoury dish.